Check Ethiopia visa requirements for Swiss citizens in November 2023
This article provides information for tourists with Swiss passports and discusses any revisions to the Ethiopian visa for Swiss people.
Traveling to Ethiopia requires a visa from Swiss citizens. Rather than waiting in line at the Embassy or Consulate for a traditional visa, Swiss citizens can apply for an Ethiopian visa online.
Applying for an Ethiopian e-Tourist visa online is quick and easy for Swiss people. Read the following article to learn about all Ethiopian e-Visa requirements for Swiss citizens.
1. Ethiopia e-Visa for Swiss citizens
To enter Ethiopia, Swiss citizens must have a valid visa. Most international travelers, including Swiss nationals, must get a visa to enter Ethiopia.
Switzerland and Ethiopia have strong relations that are regularly reinforced by different bilateral agreements and political dialogues.
Fortunately, obtaining an Ethiopian visa as a Swiss citizen is simple. Visitors must have a Swiss passport that is valid for at least 06 months beyond the scheduled date of entrance.
The Ethiopia e-Visa is valid for 30 or 90 days for Swiss citizens. It is a single-entry visa, which means you can only visit the nation once. The validity of an eVisa begins from the intended date of arrival on the approved document.
Swiss citizens visiting Ethiopia can apply for other types of visas by making an appointment with the Ethiopian embassy or consulate in Switzerland. Swiss citizens transiting through Ethiopia will not need a transit visa as long as they do not leave the airport.
2. Ethiopia Visa Requirements for Swiss citizens
Swiss nationals must meet all Ethiopian visa requirements in order to apply for an e-Visa.
The following documents are required for an Ethiopian tourist visa for Swiss citizens:
- Swiss passport must be valid (must be valid for at least 06 months beyond the indicated date of arrival)
- Color digital passport photo was taken recently
- An email address
- A valid form of online card payment
Documents that may be required in addition:
- Ethiopia Travel Insurance (We should also mention that this is an optional step that you can do based on your circumstances).
Important things to remember
Swiss citizens who visit Ethiopia on a tourist visa are not permitted to:
- Take on any type of job, including volunteer work.
- Alter your immigration status
*Note: Travelers who require emergency assistance from the Swiss Government while abroad should call the nearest Swiss embassy or consulate.
- Information on Ethiopian e-Visas for Swiss Minors
- To apply for an Ethiopian e-Visa, all Swiss minors, regardless of age, must submit a separate application.
- Ethiopian visa for Ugandans
- How much is Ethiopia visa from Nigeria?
- Do South African citizens need a visa for Ethiopia?
3. Apply for an Ethiopian e-Visa from Switzerland
The application for an Ethiopian visa for Swiss citizens is a straightforward online form. Travelers must provide personal information, passport information, and travel plans such as date of arrival/ departure.
The following are the types of information required:
- Visa details (number of applicants, type of visa, processing time)
- Personal information such as full name, address, and date of birth are examples of personal information.
- Passport information such as the passport number, and nationality, among other things
Swiss applicants must carefully review all of the material on the application form. Incorrect information or errors may cause processing delays or, in exceptional cases, visa refusal.
Following acceptance, the Ethiopian e-visa sent via email should be printed in advance of arriving at the port of entry — Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the sole point of entry with an e-Visa. Swiss travelers should keep a copy of the e-Visa with them at all times during their stay.
Switzerland candidates with dual citizenship enter Ethiopia using the same passport they used to fill out the electronic visa application form.
Once all required documents and the application form have been correctly submitted, Ethiopian authorities will examine the application, extra documents, and fee payment.
Visas are typically approved within 01 to 03 business days (24-72 hours). In rare circumstances, the Ethiopia visa process may take longer due to application issues or inaccuracies.
It is best to apply at least 03 days before your trip to allow enough time for processing and necessary modifications.
When applying from Switzerland for an Ethiopian visa, the response/approval is sent via email. Upon arriving at the airport, a printed copy of your authorized visa should be provided to border control.
4. Ethiopia e-Visa fee for Swiss citizens
To pay the total cost of an Ethiopian visa for Swiss nationals, first understand that there are two Ethiopian e-Visa fees for Swiss people: a service fee and a government fee.
For a service fee, Ethiopia Immigration Service provides 03 solutions from which you can pick flexibly based on your needs:
- Normal: When you have adequate time and can wait for a response, you should use this. You just have to wait a maximum of 03 business days with this option.
- Urgent: utilized in exceptional circumstances, such as when you require a Visa faster than usual. You will receive your Visa in a maximum of 02 days.
- Super urgent: utilized in an emergency when you need your e-Visa in hours When you select this option, your results may appear within 24 business hours.
Payment method: Wire transfers and electronic transactions are both acceptable. You can finish your purchase using a variety of payment methods, such as Visa, Mastercard, or PayPal.